New official statistics are being published today on the increase in cases of Acquired Brain Injury (ABI).
- There were 348,934 UK admissions to hospital with acquired Brain Injury (ABI) in 2013-14.
- ABI admissions in the UK have increased by 10% since 2005-6
- There were approximately 956 ABI admissions per day to UK hospitals in 2013-14 – or one every 90 seconds!
- In 2013-14, there were 162,544 admissions for head injury. That’s 445 a day – or one every three minutes!
- Men are 1.6 more likely, than women, to be admitted for head injury. However, female admissions have risen by 24% since 2005-06
- In 2013-14, there were 130,551 UK admissions for stroke. That is an increase of 9% since 2005-06 and equates to one every four minutes!
Here is the North East (UK) the number of recorded ABI in 2013-2014 was over 16,000! Sadly, many of those will now be living with life long disabilities.
The shocking statistics presented here clearly demonstrate that brain injury incidence rates are rising – and as a result more people are requiring support to help them cope with their life-changing brain injuries.
We have met some of those individuals and their families and we are helping them rebuild their lives.
For more information you can download the report here: Acquired brain injury – the numbers behind the hidden disability